Tuesday 27 August 2013

Front seat mounts in carbon

Back into the carbon fibre, making the front seat mounts. I firstly made a mould from a piece of the frame tubing and a couple of bits of melamine screwed together with a bit of wood at the bottom. Fillets were made with plasticene –


I later pulled this apart and sealed between the pipe and melamine with mastic before redoing the fillets (plasticene is not airtight). This is the lay-up during infusion –


It was necessary to add the blocks at the top and the clamps below to prevent the pull of the vacuum distorting the mould. Here’s the trimmed piece, sitting on top of the clamps that will eventually anchor it in place-


The piece is a bit too flimsy for my tastes (used 6 layers of carbon) and I’ll be adding a few more layers to the inside surface later. I’ve made two, one for each side.



No comments:

Post a Comment