Tuesday 13 August 2013

Fitting the Drive Shafts

Wednesday, 14th August 2013, 2pm

Before leaving the front end, I fitted travel stops to the steering arms and fixed the slop in the shocker mounts. Fox shocks come with 8mm diameter bushes, but they are more like 8.1mm, and the resultant slack is quite pronounced at the wheel. To remedy this, I turned down 10mm stainless bolts to 8.1mm –


On to the drive shafts. For the right hand end of the front drive shaft, I machined down another rear wheel hub, fitted an internal sleeve and bolted it to the end of the shaft I had previously fitted a cassette to the left hand end of –


I then bolted the centre sprockets in place –


This is what the final assembly of the front drive shaft looks like –


Ten sprockets at each end and two in the centre. And so to the rear shaft. I made inserts for the ends of the shaft, which extended it a little (unfortunately when I bought the tube I wasn’t sure of the final length and had it cut slightly short) and welded the end of a bottom bracket axle into each end –


You can also see here the 16 tooth sprockets I made to fit onto the ends of the shaft. These were made from the centre bosses of right hand pedal cranks with 16 tooth freewheel sprockets welded on, offset by 10mm. This is the shaft fitted in place –


I then had to fit a cassette to the middle of this shaft. To do this I had to fix a freehub shell (from which I had previously removed the bearings) to the shaft. I machined up a sleeve which was an interference fit on the ratchet teeth, bashed it into place, tack welded the end internally and then machined the internal hole. Final act was to fit it to the shaft with a grub screw –


To the right can be seen the derailleur dropout, in it’s approximate final position. With the cassette fitted it looks like this –


And the fitted shaft looks like this –



Next job is to fit the chains and derailleurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment