Monday 28 January 2013

resin infusion and front end chassis


Tuesday 29 January, 2013, 1pm


Things have been a bit dramatic in SE Queensland recently, cyclone Oswald causing unprecedented flooding (in our 30 years here) at Goomburra. The creek peaked at about 7 metres and took huge chunks out of our creekbank, also taking a large chunk of our concrete crossing with it. So mobility is a bit limited at present.

As for pospedal, I’d done a bit of work on it before all the drama.

 I infused the bottom bracket supports, using a complex matrix of plumbing –


This gave me the ability to inject or vacuum from any of the four ports that I set up (three on this face, one in the centre of the back). Infusing from the back to start –


Then switching to each of the front ports in turn. This technique gave me the ability to control just where I wanted the resin to run, and allowed me to vacuum all four ports when the infusion was finished –


The end result was good, I’ll put pics of it on the next blog.

I started playing with some M-board after this, cutting out a panel (14mm thick) to support the front suspension. Strips were routed so that I could bend it (22mm wide for 14mm board) into a U channel –


The wide strips are where the main frame tubes will run. It’s easily bent, with thickened epoxy spread on the joint before folding and clamping –


Wooden blocks keep it square. A jig was made in formply to locate the holes for the suspension pivots and frame tubes in it –


This is the finished jig clamped in place –


The large hole is for the frame tube. A steel washer has been machined to cut an accurate hole for the frame with a router. Top hole is the upper wishbone, lower hole is lower wishbone and left hole is a reference hole for the shocker mount. Cutting the frame tube hole –


And the member after drilling –


After a week off to let my eczema heal, I’ll be back at it shortly. Looking forward to assembling the front end.

No comments:

Post a Comment