Sunday 25 November 2012

Bearing housings and Mk 1


Sunday 25 Nov. 2012

Bearing Retainers Done

Correction: that was not Sam and Jake in that pic, it was me and Jake. The fuzz was either due to a fly issue (fly veil) or maybe I looked fuzzy because I was stoned. Sam still has hair issues, regardless.

My secretary (she’ll give me hell for that) found some pics of the first pedalcar and these are those: 


Sarah’s keeping notes.


 Mick the he-man. I think that’s Mr. Natural on the T-shirt. They were my motorcycle jeans, never washed. They could stand up on their own. I love aluminium.

As for progress, finally found something to make the last two bearing retainers out of. An old motorcycle wheel someone unknown had given me 25-odd years ago. One thing I’m enjoying about this project is that a lot of the crap I’ve held on to for the last X years is coming in handy. Here’s the wheel in question –


And here’s the hub stripped for action –


And here’s the resulting bearing housings –



The top two rows are the housings for the rear driveshaft and the rest are the housings for the front shaft. The two cylindrical housings came from the motorcycle hub. They’ll eventually be used in a carbon-fibre component. The flat washers came from an old road sign I’ve had for 30 years. Great alloy in those signs. Also shown is one of the hybrid ceramic (Boca) bearings that will be used in the housings.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to use up old junk. I'm currently selling off the stuff I was going to use in my Single Spinner Ford project.

    ReplyDelete